Expert resume of Manuel Conthe
Manuel Conthe is a full-time international arbitrator. He is also a columnist and Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Spanish leading business newspaper, Expansión, and non-executive independent director of the listed Spanish stainless steel manufacturer Acerinox. He is a sole practitioner who acts only as arbitrator, never as counsel.
He is a lawyer and economist with a recognized expertise in finance, currency issues, derivatives, company and damage valuations, energy and cognitive biases in decision-making.
Manuel has significant experience as arbitrator in commercial arbitrations, both internationally and domestically in Spain. He has also a growing experience in investment arbitration cases, particularly in Latin America.
Manuel is a member of the panel of financial experts of P.R.I.M.E. Finance, based in The Hague (Holland) under the auspices of the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
As Chairman of Spain’s Securities & Exchange Commission (CNMV) (2004-2007), he led the preparation of the 2006 Corporate Governance Code for Spanish listed companies (the “Conthe Code”) and the adoption by EU listed companies of International Accounting Standards, launched a major initiative against Market Abuse and chaired various international Task Forces of securities regulators on mediation, corporate governance and implementation of the Mifid Directive.
Manuel is a recognized expert in financial regulation, which he particularly developed during his seven years as Director General of the Treasury and Financial Policy of the Kingdom of Spain (1988-1995), his brief period as Deputy Minister of Economy (1995-1996) and his stint as Financial Sector Vice-president in the World Bank (1999-2002).
He is the author of three books on economic and political paradoxes, game theory and Behavioral Law & Economics.
- Independent arbitrator
- Columnist and chairman of the Advisory Board of Expansión, Spain’s leading financial newspaper (since 2007)
- Non-executive independent director of Acerinox, the listed international stainless-steel manufacturer (since June 2011)
- 1971-1976 Law degree from Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM). Final research paper: Special Drawing Rights (SDR).
- 1976-1977 Research grant on International Private Law at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) on the public order exception.
- 1971-1974 Undergradute studies on Economics (Macroeconomic analysis) at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM).
- 2001 Executive Education Program at Harvard Business School.
- German (intermediate level)